Sunday, May 18, 2014

Zipping on the Step-Tail Twin-Fin WindSUP

I continue to be smugly pleased with my modifications to the Angulo Surfa 10'4" windsurfable SUP. Whereas the original board loved wave-fuel but couldn't get much speed with wind-fuel alone, the modified board can adapt to whatever power source is available; wind and/or waves.

Yesterday the surf was barely knee-high, but an offshore wind gusting around 15 knots made up for the lack of wave power and led to a fun planing session with a 6.4 sail. The other sailor in the video is Alex from Naples, riding another type of windsup- an 8'5" RRD Wassup.

Boom Mount 5-17-14 from James Douglass on Vimeo.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the music and the duck jibe. I really like that you documented that last blast down the beach at the end.

Unknown said...

and really like the perspective of the boom mount camera. Gives the viewer the sensation he is following you and allows observation of the board and footwork.

joe windsurfer said...

15 knots with a 6.4 - WOW.
Maybe i need to try smaller sails:-)
Why only front straps at that placement ?? assuming you put them there.
They look too far forward for you.
These videos show people that not much is needed to have a lot of FUN and speed too.
Have you sent your thoughts and videos to your buddy Josh ?
Enjoy

James Douglass said...

Alex- Thanks, man! That last blast was wicked.

Joe- 15 knots is just a guess. Since it was offshore it was probably 20 in the gusts, and 7 in the lulls, which I didn't show in the video. I haven't specifically bothered Josh with my videos in case he might be offended that I hacked up the already-good board that his dad designed. But I wish I could bring the board up to Nahant and try it in the waves there because I think it could work real well in those.

Unknown said...

I'm interested in the foostraps James, did you add those? How do you like having just front straps?

James Douglass said...

Trevor- Yes, I added the front footstraps. They are very helpful both for riding the board at higher speeds and for giving you something to hold onto when you carry the board into and out of the water. So far I haven't felt much need for a back footstrap. The board is pretty stable with the twin-fin setup, and I think if it was so rough and windy that I needed a back strap I would just switch to a shortboard anyway.

Ile à Duval said...

I guess having the front footstrap quite forward is a good idea. It "forces" you in a wide stance, with the back foot quite back. This enhance stability and reduce catapult risk.

Ed said...

Useful info, thanks for sharing